Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Jonathan Safran Foer

Jonathan Safran Foer came to my college this past semester, and gave a speech on the purpose of laughter and its application in Jewish culture. He was everything you would expect from reading Everything Is Illuminated: intelligent, funny, Jewish. I wanted to meet him but couldn't think of any questions to ask, and didn't have any books to be signed, so I thought it would be too awkward. Instead, Ted and I just left and talked of books we liked, such as House of Leaves. Well, I am now reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, and the writing style reminds me of House of Leaves. It's disjointed but insightful so far. I'm really enjoying it and hope it's as good as I expect it will be. This is the kind of writing that inspires me to write as well, so also hopefully some good creative material will come out of it.

No comments: